Monday, April 28, 2008

Do you have a Money Grandma?

A few days ago I received a card from my mom in California that contained a check for 4 copies of the book I'm Glad I'm a Mom, a birthday card for Joe and postcards for both Jake and Jesse. To each of these postcards she taped a dollar bill just for fun.

Jake was so excited when he got his postcard because he is saving for a Nintendo DS so he immediately added it to his pickle jar and filled in another square on his paper that marks how many dollars he has saved. He is well on his way.

Jesse climbed up on my lap and was talking about how he was happy about his money. Without even blinking, he said, "I really like my Money Grandma!" Huh???? I said, "You mean your California Grandma?" He replied with a decisive nod, "Yeah...my Money Grandma!"


Now I am positive that this is not how my mom wants to be known, but she certainly got a kick out of her new title. She said she had debated on whether to tape a piece of gum or a dollar to the postcards. She went with the dollar.

I'm sure it is a challenge to be a long-distance grandparent. I'm sure it is frustrating when your daughter does not send out photos of your precious grandchildren frequently enough...like every week! I'm sure it's hard to hear their voices on the phone and only be able to picture their new missing tooth grins, their latest bike tricks, and their excitement as they describe birthday presents they have received. Even when you know your daughter and her husband are exactly where the Lord wants them, I'm sure it's still difficult sometimes.

I know it's hard when you're the daughter that is 1500 miles away from your family. But I also know that when the Lord calls you somewhere, He supplies your needs, and He has surely done that for me.

Thanks, Mom, for working so hard to be a grandma to these boys. I sure do love you! I guess it's not so bad being the Money Grandma sometimes!

Blessings!

~ Marcia ~

1 comment:

Roo said...

Oh my goodness, Marcia, that was the MOST precious story! I just LOVE it! The MONEY GRANDMA! hahaha. HOw CUTE! I completely understand the long distance grandparent. My parents are long distance grandparents. It's very difficult for them too. (HUGS)

~Rachel