Tuesday, August 26, 2008

School is in and BOX DAY is coming!

Last Monday, August 18, we began our '08/'09 school year. Well, I guess I should say we eased into it, really. We had to wait until last Thursday to order the bulk of our books so we began with Math, Handwriting, and Bible. Joe began 4th grade, Jake began 1st grade, and Jesse began Kindergarten. I cannot believe I am actually homeschooling all three of them now! When I began homeschooling Joey, Jacob was 2 and Jesse was not yet even 1. Where has the time gone? Unbelievable.

Our first week was pretty good. We implemented a new reward systems with coins. Each one gets 5 plastic coins a day for school. If they complain or whine or yell or engage in some other form of negative behavior, they lose a coin to mom or dad. If they lose one coin, then they lose all of their video game and computer privileges for the day. If they are able to keep all of their coins for the week, there is a monetary reward for their good attitude and hard work. So far, it appears to be working! I will say that one boy did manage to keep all of his coins for last week and received GREEN compensation for it! Two others, who shall remain nameless, did not. We live and learn.

Now we are eagerly awaiting BOX DAY! What is BOX DAY you ask? No, I'm not referring to the Canadian/UK/Australian/NZ holiday of giving gifts to those in need. That holiday is Boxing Day. BOX DAY in our family is the wonderful day that we receive our new box of books from Sonlight Curriculum. Talk about excitement! I know, I know. Unless you have experienced BOX DAY, you may not fully understand. We wait, rather impatiently, for the FedEx man to arrive burdened down with our brand new, never-cracked books. We all gather on the living room floor or around the kitchen table and we open our box. Each book is removed with "oohs" and "ahhs" as we read each title and dig in for more! There are books about history, Bible, science, and just plain "good books" inside our box. Along with books, there is mom's instructor's guides, a science experiment DVD, science experiment supplies, Bible verse songs, and some fun language arts workbooks. When we have sadly reached the bottom of the box, the fun is not over yet. Our Sonlight box comes with a castle printed on the inside of the box! All we have to do is cut it open and there is much more fun to come!

According to our FedEx tracking number, our Box is due here TOMORROW! Very exciting! I know I...er...I mean...WE will be anxiously awaiting the man in the Sonlight...er...I mean...the FedEx truck! Heehee!

Pop in tomorrow or Thursday for pictures of BOX DAY!!!

Blessings,
~ Marcia ~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that you home school all 3 of them. WOW! You must be very very organized and patient.
One day..when i have children..(10yrs, ahaha) i want to home school i think...at least in the beginning. I think it so healthy!Kudos to you! (and your just as excited as they are...thats a bonus!)

Roo said...

Box day has YET to come here...*sigh*