Monday, July 7, 2008

Infomercials and their effect on children


Ok, so Mondays at our home are rather boring. Since Jason works all day Sunday, he takes Monday off and since it is summer...I do too! This morning we were hanging out watching TV and we only get 5 channels and the most interesting thing on was an infomercial on the "Miracle-Egde Knife Set". Big excitement, I know. We were actually waiting for the infomercial to get over so we could watch The Cosby Show!!! Joe was begging us to the buy the knives and I was giving him the speech about how "I do not need any more knives. I really like my Cutco set. Our money is better spent elsewhere."

After not having seen Jake or Jesse for a little while, I asked Jason what they were doing. He grinned and said that they were playing in their bedroom and Jake was busy making an infomercial of his own! "Buy this dinosaur today, but wait, that's not all! If you buy today, I'll throw in these other 5 dinosaurs too!" How cute is that?

And we think TV advertising has no effect on our children. Hmmmm...I'll have to rethink that one.


No comments: