Saturday, February 21, 2009

Jesse's knee update

It has been a crazy week, but today is Saturday and I have survived! Praise the Lord! Tomorrow I will start a new week in His house and I am so thankful.

So Thursday we went to Kansas City to have Jesse's cast removed and to see Dr. Kevin Latz, our surgeon. Everything went great. Jesse knee looks good and they fitted him for a ROM (range of motion) post-op brace with dial that can be adjusted by his physical therapist as his quadriceps become stronger. He will see a PT one to two times a week for four to six weeks. He is already bending his knee a little tiny bit, but you can tell he is afraid of the pain. Right now it is locked to immobilize his knee so he does not do any other damage due to his weak muscles.

Dr. Latz also mentioned that he, Dr. Paccica, and Dr. Anderson were all so annoyed in surgery at how long it took them to thread the sutures through the tools they were using, that they spent a day and a half in the cadaver lab perfecting the technique just in case they need to do it again. We thought that was pretty cool. We told Jesse how he helped the doctors learn to do something new and better. We will recheck with Dr. Latz in 6 more weeks and I am hoping to be able to find a creative way to say "thank you" at that time.

After 3 hours at Children's Mercy Hospital, we were all happy to arrive at Aunt Robin and Uncle Bob's home. We were wiped out. Jesse had done great. Jacob was a great big brother and we were excited to have him with us. We missed Joey, though! He stayed with Nana and Papa to help them with a community dinner our church was sponsoring. They said he was a great helper serving pie. :o)

So I guess that is the update for now.

Blessings,
~ Marcia ~

2 comments:

Sarah said...

We have found a great way to help the hospital where my cousin stayed while he was fighting cancer. We donate movies to the children's floor, as they have DVD players for the kids to watch their favorite movies. This was one of my cousin's favorite things to do while he was bored in the hospital, and it is a great way to preserve his memory. I bet your doctor would be honored if you donated movies or something similar in his name.

Leah said...

Glad he's doing well!!! :) I love the look of your blog.