Tuesday, February 17, 2009

18 weeks down....18 weeks to go

So here we are in mid-February and we will be finishing up week 18 of school this week. *deep breath* Seems like it's been a long school year already, but I am so thankful that we have made it to the half-way point. God has certainly been faithful. At this rate, we will finish up before the end of June and I am really pleased with that. Considering all the things that have surprised us this school year, I think we are doing great!

And just like the past 4 years, I am getting the new curriculum itch. So I wandered over to the Sonlight website to do a little "window shopping" and drooling over our new core for next year. Very exciting! We will be doing our 2nd year of American history and I know Joe and I will really have a good time with it. We have been really enjoying the Revolutionary War and both of us loved Johnny Tremain.

This week Joseph has been writing the rough draft for his report on Koalas. I think he's doing a very good job.

Jacob is spelling very well and continues to work hard on his reading.

Jesse is...well...Jesse is just Jesse these days. He was watching a video this morning while Jacob and I were reading in his Bible storybook about Elijah and King Ahab. We discussed the famine that was occurring and I asked Jacob if he could imagine what it would be like without rain for 3 years! Imagine turning on the faucet and not getting any water? Where would you get water? ***building to a dramatic climax*** Jesse promptly hollered from the living room, "From the well! Get water from the well!"

Ha! And I thought he wasn't listening at all. I just had to smile. Just one of those homeschooling moments.

We are heading to Children's Mercy Hospital on Thursday to see Jesse's surgeon and have his cast removed. We are praying that everything is looking good and that he will be able to go into a brace and begin some physical therapy. Since this was a first for them as well as us, I understand that we are all taking it one step at a time and one day at a time. Needless to say, we have been so pleased and so thankful for everyone at Children's Mercy. What a wonderful blessing they all have been. Thank you, Jesus!

Blessings,
~ Marcia ~

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

Those Sonlight Cores sure are nice, aren't they [smile].

"From the well! Get water from the well!" [laughing] I love stories like these; they are great reminders that homeschooling works... even when we don't realize it.

~Luke