Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Saving of Jacob (Part 2)


Saturday evening, Jason ran up to the church office to photocopy the bulletins for the next morning. While he was gone, I gave the boys a bath (Joey took a shower downstairs) and explained to them what was going on the next day. Jacob and Jesse's friend was getting baptized after church. Talking about baptism brought up questions from Jacob about what it is and why we do it. So I talked with him as I tucked him in and explained that we do not believe that baptism saves people. He seemed ok with thinking about that for a while.

When Jason got home, I asked him to go in and talk to Jacob too. I certainly didn't want to push him, but I didn't want to ignore what the Holy Spirit was speaking to his heart too. So daddy, the preacher, went in to kiss him goodnight.

Well, a few minutes later, Jason asked me to join them and my heart leaped within my chest as I thought about the eternal significance wrapped up in this moment in time. Wow! So I joined them and Jacob said that he wanted to ask Jesus in his heart. We talked about why we needed to do this (because we all have sinned and that our sin separates us from God) and what happens when we do this (the sacrificed blood of Jesus Christ wipes away our sin and He sends the Holy Spirit to help us live like Him and to have a relationship with Him).

So we all held hands as he prayed. What a wonderful moment as a parent. I know this is not "fire insurance" for my child to keep him from hell, but I know that his heart is soft to the leading of the Holy Spirit and he was ready to make this step in his own faith walk.

My prayer is that he continues to keep his heart soft and that he will strive to listen to the voice of the Lord in his heart.

Lord, help me to seek You first in everything so that I may be well-equipped to lead my children to do the same. Thank you for the gift of salvation through the shed blood of your perfect Son, Jesus Christ!

See yesterday's post for Part 1 of The Saving of Jacob.

Feeling incredibly blessed,
~ Marcia ~

4 comments:

Roo said...

PTL! I am so happy...as this is so much more important than the physical saving! This was the ETERNAL saving! PTL! What an awesome image, though, of how God saves us from the mirk and mire and brings us to eternal glory.

Anonymous said...

I agree with roo, what a wonderful joy we can all share. Let Jake know that his grandparents in California are so happy about his decision to accept our Lords free gift. Love, Grandma and Grandpa...
PS: What about the castle?

Marcia said...

Thanks, Rachel, for stopping by. Yes, I totally agree with you! This was by far, the most important "saving"! So exciting!

Hi Mom and Dad! I will get working on the castle ASAP. Trust me, it's not THAT exciting. :o)

~Marcia

Anonymous said...

Marci, I love you and am so happy for you and your beautiful family. I've been thinking of you and miss talking to you. Tisha in IL